Saturday, March 26, 2011

What to do?

Many times, I think about blogging - and then don't because I am not sure what to write. I try to keep my blog focused on my jewelery - with the occasional update about my life as I want my readers to get to know me. Plus - how boring would my blog be if every post was "Look at what I made!" or "Here's my newest creation!" I love making jewelery (don't get me wrong) but reading a blog like that would quite simply bore me.

Many of my fellow bead weaving artisans are very creative with their blogs. They talk about anything and everything and somehow relate it to their business or their designs. I struggle with this. I find inspiration from searching the web often times which is not exactly the most exciting topic of discussion. And so I am back to the question: "What to do?" or more exactly "I know I need to update my blog but I have absolutely no idea what to talk about."

And so we arrive here:

I am blogging a little about my life today. Not long ago, I posted about the tumult in my life and the uncertainty I was facing after losing my job. It took me a while, but I have found a new job as a server at a breakfast place. Now those of you who actually, personally know me will think that hell has indeed frozen over as I am *NOT* a morning person. Nope. No way. Snowball has a better chance in hell than me actually being a morning person. But here's the thing: I have been there several weeks so far - and I am truly liking it. I don't hate getting out of bed in the morning. I actually WANT to get out of bed in the morning - and the only time I have said that I didn't want to go into work was 1 morning in which I really, really, really wanted to go back to sleep. I am holding out hope that I may in fact become a morning person although I will be sad to put the "night owl" to rest so to speak. (I have always loved the peace and the quiet of the middle of the night.) I want to function on a "normal" schedule without it feeling like a drag.

On the jewelery front, the new job has given me more time to work on making jewelery. I am focusing more on my stores online. I have quite a few new designs coming, but the biggest problem I have is taking pictures. I simply hate doing it. The process has gotten easier, but I still hate doing it. I will share pictures with you once I get some more taken and of course when I have some new pieces to show you.

Last but not least, the new job has allowed me to spend more time with Ansel. I do enjoy his company a lot. At the old job, we were often like 2 ships passing in the night as he would be getting home from work and I would be going in - and by the time I got home he would be already asleep or close to it. Last week, we had the following exchange that I found really funny:

Ansel (after looking at my rather messy work uniform): "You are a mess. I could work all day and not get anything on me."
Me: "Well, not everyone can be perfect like you are, darling."
Ansel: "Now, now let's get this straight. I am ONLY perfect on Tuesdays and since today is Friday, you will just have to wait until Tuesday for perfection." =)

Good night all!

5 comments:

Aitch said...

Julie, I can relate to that post - sometimes I think "shall I blog about blah blah blah" when I'm not really sure whether "blah blah blah" is at all interesting to any of my readers. However, I think having a snippet of your everyday life really does add a bit of "personality" to your blog, so don't hold back as much! I enjoyed reading that post!

Sweet Seahorse said...

Hi Julie, I agree with Aitch. I too wonder about what to post on my blog, but really you need to think of it as a snippet of your life. You need to write what you enjoy writing about whether it be about your work, your beading or the next door neighbour's stinky cooking! If you enjoy writing it and showing it off, people will enjoy reading it.
xXx Helen

mdgtjulie said...

Ansel is just awesome. He comes up with the funniest things!!! I'm glad you're enjoying the new job so much, but I don't think you'll ever truly become a morning person. You get up, and look forward to getting up, because you know that most of the time you're gonna have a good day. It's not because you intrinsically like the morning time!!!

Julie said...

I am really glad to hear that I am not the only one with this issue. I am not even sure how many people even read my blog - and I realize that part of that is my own fault as I should update more often. I have made a conscious effort to blog more - even if it simply just a few times more a year. So far, so good. But a lot of times, I just have no idea what to write about. Heck - I may even blog tonight if I can think of something interesting to write about...lol.

mdgtjulie said...

It's easy Jules. Write that you started Story Keeper, and add a pic. Talk about some of the nice people you met at work today. Talk about how nice it is to have a day off. Talk about the funny things Ansel says to you. (Ask for a prayer that he feels better soon and you don't get his cold!!!!) Things that are boring to you are interesting to everyone else. Talk about what you are designing or working on jewelrywise. There are so many things you can say, but you don't cause you think people will be bored. You never have any trouble on the phone, so I don't see why you have such a hard time blogging!!!