So I have been thinking a lot recently about the possibility of taking out a very small loan for my business (thinking $2000-$3000) and I keep waffling back and forth on whether or not I want to take this step. I am looking for any and all feedback that you are willing to share with me - the good and the bad. I am not sure I will even be able to get a loan to begin with as my credit is not exactly what you would call exemplary. But here are the pros and cons as I see them now:
- Would allow me to do more with my business quickly as I would be able to buy several things that I need to do bigger shows.
- Would allow me to try to be accepted to art fairs as they are more expensive to get into - and during warmer months they are mostly outdoors which would require a tent.
- Although this is not a guarantee - it would allow me to make more money as I feel an art fair is more my market than craft shows.
- And finally - I believe that getting the loan would actually allow me to make this a legitimate business - one that I do full time - or nearly full time.
I am not putting this as an official bullet point - but I do feel as though I am being "nudged" to do this - that I need to do this. Maybe it is my sub-conscience. Maybe it is the universe. Maybe it is God. I have no idea, but I am just feeling this way.
- If I do not do well, would I be able to afford to pay the loan back?
- No guarantee that I will even be able to get into the shows that I want to get into - most have a non-refundable "jury" or "application" fee of $10-$35 - do I want to lose that money?
- Would I be able to make the inventory required to do these larger shows?
So - there's my list - does anyone have any more input? I am really at a loss of what to do.